Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Important: System Menu 4.2 Topic -> Anti-Homebrew Update!
September 29, 2009 07:55AM

I meant playing Wii games that aren't released in Europe. Rune Factory Frontier or the blood version of No More Heroes being examples.
Ahh. Makes sense. Region-locking is stupid.

EDIT: The point that I was trying to make was that most people with HBC pirate, but I assumed that Waxy Pumpkin meant playing games on SNES emulator, not trying to get free GCN/Wii games. My bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 07:59AM by wolfennights.
September 29, 2009 08:16AM
Oh gosh, that was close. I was about to make this whole long post to defend myself/have another long debate about piracy, but I decided half way through to open a new window and see if anyone had posted.....And you had! Thanks for understanding. :)

Just so you know, I'm not a pirate. I've never pirated anything, and the only reason I use HBC is for:

Learning experience
Hopefully develop my own program/app
Use the media functions
Have fun! :D

Also, I never said anybody was stupid, I said that the videos the people put up were stupid, because they support piracy (And I don't).

Back on topic:
wolfennights
If Nintendo wanted to stop pirates, they' focus more on stopping burned DVDs and ISO's from being able to be loaded and played on their system.
True, but as you stated, its probably just easier for them to wipe the HBC from the wii (even if its a vain attempt lol), rather than create some code to patch out loading an ISO. BTW, whenever you launch a legitimate wii game, you're launching an ISO, but I see your point. ;)

I don't think its because people are using software that doesn't give Nintendo money, because they're already making plenty of money. LOL :D

Edit: Typo.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 08:18AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 29, 2009 08:23AM
Well, that doesn't mean they don't want even more!
September 29, 2009 08:32AM
wolfennights
Well, that doesn't mean they don't want even more!
LOL, I guess. What gaming company isn't power/money hungry? hahaha :P
September 29, 2009 11:36AM
They are directly attacking HBC and Bootmii/boot2?

Stuff is about to get serious.
September 29, 2009 04:44PM
Why can't Nintendo focus on things that would increase their market share like useful channels & hulu/internet tv support?
September 29, 2009 05:04PM
Heck, if they charged a small license fee for developers to list their homebrew via a channel then I'd pay. It looks like the sith lord has finally revealed himself!

Funny thing is I updated on Sunday, I'd never before updated my Wii (had it about 18months). I'll never update again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 05:05PM by scanff.
September 29, 2009 05:25PM
so this update deletes absolutely everything even bootmii boot2 or ios?
Does indiana pwns still work?
September 29, 2009 05:34PM
SmashStack and Indiana Pwns still work.
September 29, 2009 05:40PM
sorry need to make my own

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 05:41PM by cjmguitarist87.
September 29, 2009 05:40PM
Hey does the HackMii installer still work under the new Wii Menu v4.2?
September 29, 2009 05:50PM
if the hackmii installer doesnt work how about trying the v4 test version
September 29, 2009 06:10PM
Well does the HackMii installer work on 4.2? Also I wanted to try the smashstack public beta but having problems registering on that site to download it. Can anybody upload it for me?

Edit:
Found an alternative download link to smashstack public beta.

Well the HackMii installer V0.3 loads but says it can't continue the install. In Comex's video it used V0.2. Now I request that download to install The Homebrew Channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 06:30PM by wildgoosespeeder.
September 29, 2009 06:46PM
I assume bannerbomb is blocked? So the only homebrew methods are Indiana Pwns and SmashStack. And HackMii Installer doesnt work? This is pretty bad. I thought Nintendo were kinda OK with homebrew, seeing as they've been so lax towards it so far. And updating boot2 was a risky move, if power is lost during that update, the wii is completely bricked.
September 29, 2009 07:10PM
SifJar
And updating boot2 was a risky move, if power is lost during that update, the wii is completely bricked.

Makes me wonder if it only updates boot2 if bootmii is present.
September 29, 2009 08:02PM
It updates it to boot2v4 in all cases.
September 29, 2009 08:04PM
wolfennights
What do most of you use the Homebrew Channel for, anyway?

I use the Homebrew Channel mainly to cheat in Wii games, emulate NES and SNES games, use Homebrew Browser to try out various Homebrew applications, and WiiXplorer to edit data on the SD card so that way I don't have to connect it to my computer to edit.

Don't get me wrong with cheating, playing online I'll play fair, I just cheat offline. As for cheating in Super Smash Bros. Brawl I use a cheat file that allows for infinite replay and saving the name in the replay. We all know that the developers screwed-up if we can get this to work through codes.

Nintendo is like YouTube; they don't give us a choice of what we like, they just delete it without us knowing. I don't like it when people make choices for me. At least we are in power with the Wii System update. They can't force us to upgrade. YouTube will force the upgrade of the beta channels, but I won't rant about that in this topic.

As for the HackMii installer it returns the error about not being able to install anything because the IOS70 is not recognized.

Does anybody know if The Homebrew Channel (1.0.3) work on the new Wii Menu v4.2?
September 29, 2009 08:09PM
Matoking
It updates it to boot2v4 in all cases.

So it could fubar someone's wii who isn't even using homebrew. This could end up being worse then RROD
September 29, 2009 08:09PM
I was on the wiki, and there are new preloader hacks on there, one for each region, which block the HAXX, DVDX etc. checks. Are they real, and if so, how can you install preloader on 4.2? I thought IOS70 blocked it or something?

And wildgoose: no version of HBC works, the system menu checks for the HAXX title (HBC's title) and deletes it, every time you start the system menu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 08:11PM by SifJar.
September 29, 2009 08:15PM
OK, now I can't wait for a 1.0.4 Homebrew Channel. Well my only complaint with the 1.0.3 version was no automatic loading and unloading of the SD card if it was inserted and not inserted respectively. Hopefully that will be integrated in future releases that The Homebrew Channel will detect changes with the SD card slot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login