Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Important: System Menu 4.2 Topic -> Anti-Homebrew Update!
September 29, 2009 08:20PM
The Preloader haxx-skip seems to be useless right now, as you can't install Preloader as IOS70.
September 29, 2009 08:23PM
wolfennights
Don't try to be all "lol, stupid noobs pirating games." What do most of you use the Homebrew Channel for, anyway?

I mostly use it as for MPlayer CE, Gecko OS (for cheats, not region-free), PS1 Emulation (not with pirated PS1 games, ones I own factory-pressed discs of) and SaveGame Installer (ACToolkit FTW!).

As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo is doing a quickie fix so they don't have to make code to stop pirated discs from being loaded. Which is stupid for those of us who use it for other reasons... As for the boot2 rewrite, stupid. They risk bricking thousands of homebrew-free Wiis with that aspect of the update.

Unlike alot of people here though, the Wii is my major gaming console, I don't own anything else. So I dont know what the eff I'm gonna do when I end up buying a game that requires the system update...
September 29, 2009 08:27PM
You can use Gecko OS to skip update check, although it's quite annoying to do everytime. Maybe have a option in BootMii to start the HBC and load the Gecko OS immediately?

And yes, I find the boot2 update quite outrageous. Won't be surprised that there will be a surge of suddenly bricked Wiis.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 08:28PM by Matoking.
September 29, 2009 08:44PM
The problem is that homebrew developers are just too good at what they do. When homebrew looked like shell apps and were scary for joe user nintendo had nothing to fear. No one would ditch paying for their pretty games and channels for homebrew. But now that homebrew can rival anything nintendo can make they are concerned about their bottom line.
September 29, 2009 08:56PM
shame on you nintendo.... shame on you.
September 29, 2009 08:57PM
uh, no offense, but there are very very VERY few homebrew apps that even come close to rivaling anything nintendo can make.

But that's not why we homebrew... we don't do it to rival nintendo, it's to make games and apps that we want and do the things we want them to do, and to participate in a hobby.
September 29, 2009 09:03PM
SifJar
I thought Nintendo were kinda OK with homebrew, seeing as they've been so lax towards it so far.

Nintendo was probably just too incompetent to take such measures before, judging from former updates and the "Wii Fail" Video of the 25c3 presentation, that the folks at Hackmii released: [hackmii.com]

Matoking
It updates it to boot2v4 in all cases.

Wow. I'm speechless. Thats a very extreme move.

I updated my first post with the newest information from the Wiki.
They released the update messages now too:

Wii Menu version 4.2 is now available for your Wii console. To update your Wii Menu to the latest version, please select the Update button at the bottom of the screen or select the System Update option in the Wii System Settings.

This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance.

Because unauthorized modifications to save data or program files may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.2 will also check for and automatically remove such save data or program files.

**Please note: If you've updated your Wii Menu after 9/29/09, you may not need to update again.

Thank you for updating your Wii console!

Nintendo
September 29, 2009 09:07PM
Matoking
The Preloader haxx-skip seems to be useless right now, as you can't install Preloader as IOS70.

The only way I can think of to make use of it would be to apply it to a System Menu WAD then install it. That way, you'd have 4.2 without HBC blocking. But it'd be a fairly long process to patch it in. You'd need to download and decrypt the System Menu with NUSD, then edit the 00000008.app file, re-encrypt the 00000008.app file, and then pack the WAD, all just for a pointless update which has the sole purpose of defeating homebrew. And this wont help anyone already on 4.2, so it would be completely pointless for anyone to bother themselves.
September 29, 2009 09:08PM
mdbrim
uh, no offense, but there are very very VERY few homebrew apps that even come close to rivaling anything nintendo can make.

But that's not why we homebrew... we don't do it to rival nintendo, it's to make games and apps that we want and do the things we want them to do, and to participate in a hobby.

errrr...... have you forgotten about WiiRecipe?
September 29, 2009 09:12PM
I accidentally updated my Wii system to 4.2 after I uninstalled the Hombrew Channel, but I couldn't re-install it back now. So I'm pretty much screwed. No Brawl+ glory and other homebrew apps I can't launch anymore.... :(

I just hope the HackMii team make a new version of the HBC soon....

Damn you, Nintendo for brainwashing me to install this new update.....
September 29, 2009 09:13PM
SifJar
Matoking

The only way I can think of to make use of it would be to apply it to a System Menu WAD then install it. That way, you'd have 4.2 without HBC blocking. But it'd be a fairly long process to patch it in. You'd need to download and decrypt the System Menu with NUSD, then edit the 00000008.app file, re-encrypt the 00000008.app file, and then pack the WAD, all just for a pointless update which has the sole purpose of defeating homebrew. And this wont help anyone already on 4.2, so it would be completely pointless for anyone to bother themselves.

Ermm, forget about it. I just noticed that Preloader had been updated. It now checks the console for correct IOS to use. :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 09:15PM by Matoking.
September 29, 2009 10:23PM
so preloader work with 4.2?
TT would have to make a hackmii installer that can read ios 70 and maybe change the name of the hbc (im talking about haxx thingy) maybe it will work like that?
homebrew on 4.2? yes you can
September 29, 2009 05:44PM
so my wii updated to 4.2 last night, today i decided to try the homebrew channel and hack my wii. the only hack that is not patched here is the indiana pwns hack. i tried it and it does work, only problem is bootmii says there is no ios that it can hack, or whatever you want to call it. my question is, since i can run homebrew code, is there anyway to revert my firmware or change the ios like the update did so i can install the homebrew channel? i figure i can use the hack to run homebrew right off the sd since i can run code, but i have a small sd card and dont want to have to borrow my friends lego indiana jones everytime i run a code. so homebrew channel for this? is it possible?
Re: homebrew on 4.2? yes you can
September 29, 2009 05:54PM
try the hackmii installer v4 test version or use loadmii to run homebrew apps
September 29, 2009 06:57PM
Hackmii Installer doesn't work at the moment, neither the test version or the stable one.
September 29, 2009 07:37PM
does loadmii install? i want a homebrew app on a channel cause i borrowed lego from a friend and cant keep using it
September 29, 2009 07:51PM
no, 4.2 users will just have to wait... (just like 3gs 3.1 users...)
September 29, 2009 07:53PM
loadmii doesnt need to install, it just runs. Kinda like a Live CD for Linux if you know what that is. Just setup Indiana Pwns with the loadmii boot.dol at the root of your card, and run the exploit. Then you can load any homebrew on your SD card. Be warned though - anything requiring trucha wont work for obvious reasons. However, for stuff like games and homebrew browser, everything should be fine.

EDIT: Didnt actually state this - LoadMii works fine on 4.2 (I think)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 07:53PM by SifJar.
September 29, 2009 08:08PM
SifJar
Just setup Indiana Pwns with the loadmii boot.dol at the root of your card, and run the exploit.

I think he knows that, he was asking because he:

borrowed lego from a friend and cant keep using it
September 29, 2009 08:10PM
oops. reading ftw!

EDIT: BTW, other custom channels work, so if you can find a truly legal LoadMii channel, and can somehow get trucha bug back on 4.2, then you would be able to install the channel and use it instead. But custom channels are generally a grey area, although with ChannelMaker 3 (on the wiibrew wiki, so it must be legal) you can apparently make legal ones. But you'll still need to get a trucha IOS, which would be v. hard, I dont think even the pirates have got that one sussed yet. (they installed custom channels by only installing IOS70 and system menu, not full update, thus retaining trucha in other IOS)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 08:14PM by SifJar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login