Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --

Posted by Arikado 
Re: -- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --
November 20, 2009 06:14PM
SifJar
DVDX v1 is deleted every restart on 4.2, but you can install DVDX v2 (which uses a different title ID), and it wont be deleted by 4.2. However, most apps which use DVDx havent been updated to work with DVDX v2 yet.

Thanks. How can I install DVDX v2? Can this be done via the homebrew browser or do I need to start from scratch? I used bannerbomb v1 to run the set-up before but now I've updated to 4.2 will I need to use bannerbomb v2? Sorry for all the questions.
November 20, 2009 07:50PM
Just run the HackMii Installer via HBC and select install DVDx. This will install DVDx v2.
November 21, 2009 12:12AM
SifJar
Just run the HackMii Installer via HBC and select install DVDx. This will install DVDx v2.

Sorry, I feel so stupid. How do you run the HackMii Installer via the HBC?
November 21, 2009 12:16AM
Make an apps folder on the root of your SD card if you don't already have one. Inside the apps folder, create a folder called "Hackmii Installer", or whatever you want to call it. Download the Hackmii Installer, and put the boot.dol inside the Hackmii Installer folder that you made.

Launch the HBC, and it should appear. Press "A" on it, and it should load.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 12:50AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
November 21, 2009 12:46AM
iv updated my wii to 4.2e (accidentaly), found "software" on the t'interweb, followed instructions and biff baff boff backups working fine still (even after a week or so touch wood)
wii was originally running ver 3.2 with no software (HBC etc)

any poss probs to look out for ??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 12:54AM by chill_za.
November 21, 2009 12:46AM
^^
Please, don't post the links. Backups aren't supported here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 12:47AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
November 21, 2009 12:47AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Make an apps folder on the root of your SD card if you don't already have one. Inside the apps folder, create a folder called "Hackmii Installer", or whatever you want to call it. Download the Hackmii Installer, and put the boo.dol inside the Hackmii Installer folder that you made.

Oooo, this seems pretty complicated for someone like me. I will give it a go but will probably wait 'till the morning when the drink has worn off a bit! I did originally install the latest HackMii Installer v06 which I understand containes DVDX v2. Would this have been deleted when the Wii updated to v4.2E? Where would I look to check? Thanks.
November 21, 2009 12:49AM
reeto pumpkin .... just lettin u know it can b done :o)
November 21, 2009 12:52AM
markk
WaxyPumpkin72
Make an apps folder on the root of your SD card if you don't already have one. Inside the apps folder, create a folder called "Hackmii Installer", or whatever you want to call it. Download the Hackmii Installer, and put the boo.dol inside the Hackmii Installer folder that you made.

I did originally install the latest HackMii Installer v06 which I understand containes DVDX v2. Would this have been deleted when the Wii updated to v4.2E? Thanks.
No, DVDx v2 wouldn't have been deleted because the update only looks for the title "DVDx", and the title is now "DISC".
November 21, 2009 01:07AM
WaxyPumpkin72
markk
WaxyPumpkin72

I did originally install the latest HackMii Installer v06 which I understand containes DVDX v2. Would this have been deleted when the Wii updated to v4.2E? Thanks.
No, DVDx v2 wouldn't have been deleted because the update only looks for the title "DVDx", and the title is now "DISC".

That's fantastic news. So now I just need to wait for a DVD playing app that will run on it and I can ditch my DVD player?
November 21, 2009 01:17AM
No need to wait - it's called MPlayerCE and it can play DVDs on the Wii....sometimes when my real dvd player doesn't like a disc that might be a bit scratched up, I pop it into the Wii and watch it from there (I find it handles scratches and errors way better than my real dvd player).
November 21, 2009 03:29AM
Congratulations chill_za, you're now banned from the homebrew general section of our forum :-)
November 21, 2009 04:32PM
cheerz Arikado, unfortunately its only the user name thats banned :-), was just browsing last night n posted a comment
November 21, 2009 05:21PM
IP blocking next step Arikado?
November 21, 2009 05:27PM
SifJar
IP blocking next step Arikado?
Yes, Mr. Hill now has his IP and (fake) e-mails being blocked from our entire forum now. Before, it was just this section, but now his second account creation has upgraded the minor ban into a full forum-wide ban.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 05:37PM by Arikado.
November 21, 2009 06:06PM
buddypepper
No need to wait - it's called MPlayerCE and it can play DVDs on the Wii....sometimes when my real dvd player doesn't like a disc that might be a bit scratched up, I pop it into the Wii and watch it from there (I find it handles scratches and errors way better than my real dvd player).

Done it. Brilliant. Old DVD player going on ebay tomorrow. Thank you very much.
November 21, 2009 07:27PM
This is a little off topic but I bought the new super mario brothers game yesterday and my modded wii won't let me play the game unless I update to 4.2. How can I play the game without updating my Wii?
November 21, 2009 07:29PM
you are wrong. The game CANNOT update you to 4.2, as it has the 4.1 update on it. Anyway, BOTH are safe. The only thing lost is BootMii as boot2 (it includes boot2 update with 4.1 for some reason), which can be reinstalled afterwards. Anyways, if you really dont want to update, just run it through Gecko OS.
November 21, 2009 09:48PM
markk
buddypepper

Done it. Brilliant. Old DVD player going on ebay tomorrow. Thank you very much.

Mmmm, maybe I shouldn't list my DVD player for sale yet. Loaded and run Mplayer-ce no problem. Inserted an DVD and selected the play DVD option in Mplayer but nothing happens! Got my new black Wii a week ago and was hoping to replace my DVD player with it. Any ideas? Thanks.
November 21, 2009 09:57PM
You have the latest DVDx which does not work with the current MPlayer CE. If you are on a System Menu other than 4.2, you can install an old version. Otherwise, you have to wait for MPlayer CE to be updated. (There is a beta with support for latest DVDx, but dont have a link...)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login