Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --

Posted by Arikado 
-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --
September 29, 2009 10:58PM
All 4.2 related topics will be merged into this one,

New 4.2 topics posted elsewhere after this merger are liable to be deleted.

Again, keep all 4.2 relevant discussion here.

Thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2009 03:22PM by Arikado.
Important: System Menu 4.2 Topic -> Anti-Homebrew Update!
September 29, 2009 05:26AM
Warning: Do NOT update to System Menu 4.2

As I don't see a topic about the System Menu 4.2 Update around here, I thought I'd go ahead and spread the bad news.

This update seems to delete most Homebrew.

Changes:
- Deletes most homebrew, including the Homebrew Channel.
- Now uses IOS70. (No Preloader due to that)
- Wii Shop Channel updated. Use WiiSCU to update the shop channel.
- Most of the IOS's have been updated or stubbed.
- Updates your boot2 to boot2v4 (what LU64+'s have). (That means no downgrading of any IOS, and due to that, you
can't revert back to your old System Menu. So BootMii as boot2 installed is removed.)

Affected Homebrew:

- Bannerbomb -> Doesn't work.
- BootMii (!) -> BootMii will be overwritten by boot2v4.
- Homebrew Channel -> Removed by the System Menu.
- cIOS -> Replaced by stubs.
- Preloader 0.29 -> Not loaded any more due to IOS70 being used as the System Menu.

Have a look at the Wiki Page for more information: [wiibrew.org]

Nintendo appears to be serious now, huh? Even BootMii. Damn.

Until it is known wheter this update is applied automaticly on Wii's with updated User Agreement (System Menu 4.0 and 4.1), I have disconnected my Wii from the internet.

If anyone knows more: Please post.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 08:48PM by SpyroDragon.
Re: Important: System Menu 4.2 Topic -> Anti-Homebrew Update!
September 29, 2009 05:33AM
SpyroDragon
- BootMii (!)

Boot2, or IOS? AFAIK, nintenod can't do anything to bootmii boot2...
September 29, 2009 05:37AM
If it is done automatically, then I am screwed.

Dammit, why did I decide to leave WiiConnect24 on even during standbuy?

I knew that glow I saw downstairs earlier seemed more ominous than before....
September 29, 2009 05:48AM
WaxyPumpkin72
SpyroDragon
- BootMii (!)

Boot2, or IOS? AFAIK, nintenod can't do anything to bootmii boot2...

I'm not sure.

I know that they can overwrite boot2 though, just like we do when installing BootMii. (It was just thought to be very unlikely that Nintendo actually did.)
What they can't change is boot1, which contains the signing bug and is read only.

So just re-installing BootMii shouldn't be a problem.
However, once 4.2 is launched, it might try to delete it again right away, depending on wheter the new System Menu only checks/deletes for Homebrew once, when the Wii is updated to it, or every time it boots.

The BootMii developers may have to remove Nintendo's ability to overwrite boot2.
I once read on the HackMii Blog that it is possible, but complicated.
September 29, 2009 06:06AM
Does the update actually delete the HBC?
September 29, 2009 06:08AM
My Wii is safe. Just turned off WiiConnect24. Thankfully, it wasn't an automatic update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 06:08AM by wolfennights.
September 29, 2009 06:10AM
wolfennights
My Wii is safe. Just turned off WiiConnect24. Thankfully, it wasn't an automatic update.
Yeah, they can't really do that legally without your permission. (I think :P)
September 29, 2009 06:39AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Does the update actually delete the HBC?

Yeah, it deletes the Homebrew Channel.

wolfennights

Good to know. At least not that!

This update really makes me want to walk up to the responsible Nintendo person and just tell him to stop beeing an asshole. :/
Afaik this is the first update that actively attacks Homebrew itself, instead of fixing the bugs used to install it.
They still don't get that Homebrew is actually a good thing, that helps to sell Wii's.
September 29, 2009 06:51AM
If I recall correctly, there still wasn't any code in 4.1 that could be used to automatically update your system.
September 29, 2009 06:57AM
PhoenixTank
If I recall correctly, there still wasn't any code in 4.1 that could be used to automatically update your system.
Yep. Everybody's still afraid of it happening though...Except for me. hehe :P
It seriously wouldn't even be legal...

As for deleting the HBC, isn't this the first time Nintendo has done this with an update? They've never actually deleted HBC, have they?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 06:58AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 29, 2009 07:01AM
DOH! I updated it without looking here first! Man am I so stupid.
September 29, 2009 07:09AM
WaxyPumpkin72
As for deleting the HBC, isn't this the first time Nintendo has done this with an update? They've never actually deleted HBC, have they?

Yes. 4.2 is the first update that actually attacks the Homebrew itself, instead of fixing the bugs used for installing. Nintendo is beeing an ass. :/

Afaik there was only a half-assed attempt to automaticly delete the Twilight Hack before, which didn't even work correctly, before they fixed the actual bug a lot later.

Lets hope they didn't get this update right either, heh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 07:09AM by SpyroDragon.
September 29, 2009 07:12AM
The only reason they're trying to delete the HBC is because of the increasing amounts of pirates. Hundreds of n00bs are watching stupid youtube videos to see how to pirate games. Its dumb. If they would cut it out, then Nintendo probably wouldn't be trying so hard to delete the HBC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 07:12AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 29, 2009 07:12AM
SpyroDragon
They still don't get that Homebrew is actually a good thing, that helps to sell Wii's.
Was the main reason I bought a Wii. Actually only play a Wii game a handful of times a year.
September 29, 2009 07:16AM
Don't try to be all "lol, stupid noobs pirating games." What do most of you use the Homebrew Channel for, anyway?
September 29, 2009 07:21AM
Import games & media player are my main uses. Of course, I like messing around as a developer too, but those are the big ones.
What was your point, wolfen?
September 29, 2009 07:23AM
WaxyPumpkin72
The only reason they're trying to delete the HBC is because of the increasing amounts of pirates. Hundreds of n00bs are watching stupid youtube videos to see how to pirate games. Its dumb. If they would cut it out, then Nintendo probably wouldn't be trying so hard to delete the HBC.

I think that even piracy is good for Nintendo's sales.
Pirates need a Wii and Equipment too.
And even without Homebrew based piracy, there are still drivechips, which by this time don't even need soldering anymore.

Afaik the Homebrew Channel and BootMii developers tried to contact Nintendo several times to offer help with bugs, that could be used for piracy too. Just to be ignored.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 07:35AM by SpyroDragon.
September 29, 2009 07:35AM
By "import games" I assume you mean either SNES games that were never released over here that you play using an emulator, or buying VC games from out of their region. Whether or not this is pirating is up to debate, although playing burned GCN/Wii "backups" is pirating.

My point is, most HBC users use emulators for the Wii, like Snes9x GX. I was trying to show that most of those "noobs" on youtube are looking for that.

Now, if Waxy Pumpkin was talking about going on Youtube to learn how to play pirated Wii and GCN games, then I agree that those people should stop as most Wii and GCN games are still sold in stores. What I was also trying to point out was that it would take more than just installing the Homebrew Channel in order to play Wii and GCN games, if I'm not mistaken (getting a loader, installing a cIOS).

If Nintendo wanted to stop pirates, they' focus more on stopping burned DVDs and ISO's from being able to be loaded and played on their system. Instead, they deleted the entire Homebrew Channel, either because it was an easier and more encompassing way of defeating piracy, or because they don't want ANY software on their system that doesn't earn them money.

EDIT: Well, okay, they deleted both the Homebrew Channel AND piracy cIOS locations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 07:43AM by wolfennights.
September 29, 2009 07:51AM
wolfennights
By "import games" I assume you mean either SNES games that were never released over here that you play using an emulator, or buying VC games from out of their region. Whether or not this is pirating is up to debate, although playing burned GCN/Wii "backups" is pirating.
I meant playing Wii games that aren't released in Europe. Rune Factory Frontier or the blood version of No More Heroes being examples.
wolfennights
My point is, most HBC users use emulators for the Wii, like Snes9x GX. I was trying to show that most of those "noobs" on youtube are looking for that.

Now, if Waxy Pumpkin was talking about going on Youtube to learn how to play pirated Wii and GCN games, then I agree that those people should stop as most Wii and GCN games are still sold in stores. What I was also trying to point out was that it would take more than just installing the Homebrew Channel in order to play Wii and GCN games, if I'm not mistaken (getting a loader, installing a cIOS).

If Nintendo wanted to stop pirates, they' focus more on stopping burned DVDs and ISO's from being able to be loaded and played on their system. Instead, they deleted the entire Homebrew Channel, either because it was an easier and more encompassing way of defeating piracy, or because they don't want ANY software on their system that doesn't earn them money.
I agree mostly. I wish the focus was away from HBC =/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login